Our Spanish Roast Chicken recipe is a twist on a Sunday classic. Made with smoked paprika, basil, garlic and punchy sun dried tomatoes, our Spanish Tomato Sauce gives this recipe a rich and aromatic flavour.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1.5 hours
Chef's tip: Add our Spanish Tomato Sauce onto the chicken and over the potatoes for the last 10 minutes of cooking time for maximum flavour.
- 3 medium-sized red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 large chicken (around 2kg)
- 25g butter, room temperature
- 220g pouch of Spanish Tomato Sauce
- 3 tbsp cooking oil (e.g. vegetable oil, rapeseed oil, etc.)
- 1.8kg potatoes (such as Maris Piper), peeled and cut into roughly 3cm cubes
- 100g baby spinach leaves or watercress
- 40g toasted flaked almonds
- 150g pitted black or green olives
- Handful flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- Garlic mayonnaise, to serve
- Heat the oven to 220C / 200C fan / gas mark 9.
- To a large roasting tin, add the onions and chicken. Rub the chicken all over with the butter, season with salt and pepper to taste and put in the oven.
- After 15 minutes, add the potatoes to the roasting tin and drizzle with the oil. Turn the oven down to 180C / 160C fan / gas mark 4 and roast for 50 to 65 minutes (until the chicken looks almost cooked). During the roasting time, turn the potatoes a few times to stop them sticking and achieve a nice even roast.
- Drizzle the Spanish tomato sauce over the potatoes and chicken, and return to the oven for a final 10 minutes (or until the juices of the chicken run clear).
- Remove the chicken from the roasting tin and set aside. Stir the spinach or watercress, almonds, olives and parsley into the potatoes, carve the chicken and serve with the garlic mayonnaise on the side.
Buy our Spanish Tomato Sauce here: https://keejayssauces.co.uk/collections/cooking-sauces/products/taste-spanish-tomato