Our Spanish Roast Chicken recipe is a twist on a Sunday classic. Made with smoked paprika, basil, garlic and punchy sun dried tomatoes, our Spanish Tomato Sauce gives this recipe a rich and aromatic flavour.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1.5 hours
Chef's tip: Add our Spanish Tomato Sauce onto the chicken and over the potatoes for the last 10 minutes of cooking time for maximum flavour.
- 3 medium-sized red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 large chicken (around 2kg)
- 25g butter, room temperature
- 220g pouch of Spanish Tomato Sauce
- 3 tbsp cooking oil (e.g. vegetable oil, rapeseed oil, etc.)
- 1.8kg potatoes (such as Maris Piper), peeled and cut into roughly 3cm cubes
- 100g baby spinach leaves or watercress
- 40g toasted flaked almonds
- 150g pitted black or green olives
- Handful flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- Garlic mayonnaise, to serve
- Heat the oven to 220C / 200C fan / gas mark 9.
- To a large roasting tin, add the onions and chicken. Rub the chicken all over with the butter, season with salt and pepper to taste and put in the oven.
- After 15 minutes, add the potatoes to the roasting tin and drizzle with oil. Turn the oven down to 180C / 160C fan / gas mark 4 and roast for 50 to 65 minutes (until the chicken looks almost cooked). During the roasting time, turn the potatoes a few times to stop them sticking and achieve a nice even roast.
- Drizzle the Spanish Tomato Sauce over the potatoes and chicken, and return to the oven for a final 10 minutes (or until the juices of the chicken run clear).
- Remove the chicken from the roasting tin and set aside. Stir the spinach or watercress, almonds, olives and parsley into the potatoes.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the garlic mayonnaise on the side.
Buy our Spanish Tomato Sauce here: https://keejayssauces.co.uk/collections/cooking-sauces/products/taste-spanish-tomato