Our Tai Po sauce comes directly from our founder's home village in Hong Kong. Made with aromatic habanero chillies with citrus notes from lemons and limes, this sauce is perfect for making a sweet and slightly spicy one pot recipe.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Chef's tip: For a little extra kick, add some dried chilli flakes to the chicken when you brush with the Tai Po sauce. And, if you'd rather use boneless chicken thighs, just reduce the cooking time in step 1 to 4 minutes on each side.
- 1 bottle of Tai Po sauce
- 2 tbsp cooking oil (e.g. vegetable oil, cold pressed rapeseed oil, etc.)
- 8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 240g Basmati rice, rinsed
- 580ml chicken stock
- 300g roughly chipped pak choi or 200g sliced spring greens
- 60g roasted peanuts, chopped
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- A large handful coriander leaves chopped or a mint
- Add the cooking oil to a wide, large casserole dish or pan with a lid and heat over a medium heat. Brush the chicken thighs lightly with the Tai Po sauce and cook for 8 minutes on each side, and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook for 8 minutes or until golden.
- Add the rice to the pan and mix well. Pour over the stock and and set the chicken on the top on an even layer.
- Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Partially take the lid off and add the pak choi or greens. Put the lid back on, remove the pan from the heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the peanuts, spring onions and herbs before drizzling over more Tai Po sauce to serve.
Buy our Tai Po sauce here: https://keejayssauces.co.uk/products/tai-po-chilli-sauce