Better known as the sauce for Deep Fried Chilli Beef, the Taste Keejays of Suffolk Jong Po Sauce is a traditional Pekinese Sauce which is the perfect combination of hot, sour and tangy. For a twist, try our Slow Cooked Jong Po Poutine recipe.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 4 hours and 15 minutes
Chef's tip: Keep an eye when cooking - if using a vegetarian / vegan option, cooking time until tender could be considerably less. If ready early, just turn off the heat and leave covered and the flavours will continue to infuse until you're ready!
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2.5kg beef brisket OR jackfruit
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 220g pouch of Jong Po Sauce
- 650ml beef stock OR vegetable stock
- 1 bottle dark ale (e.g. Guinness)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 750g frozen french fries
- 150g goats curd / cream cheese / non-diary alternative
- A large handful sliced pickled gherkins
- Heat the oil in a medium casserole dish over a medium heat. If using beef brisket, brown all over and set aside.
- Cook the onions for 10 minutes or until slightly browned. Add the beef brisket OR jackfruit back to the pan and add the stock, beer and Jong Po sauce. Bring to the boil, cover with the lid and simmer gently for four hours or until tender.
- When tender, remove from the heat. Cook the fries according to packet instruction.
- Shred the mixture using two forks and serve on top of the fries, along with a few dots of the goats curd (or alternative) and a generous scattering of the gherkins.
Buy our Jong Po sauce here: https://keejayssauces.co.uk/collections/cooking-sauces/products/jong-po-sauce