Our Smoky BBQ Beef Cornbread Pie is inspired by our trips to the BBQ homelands of the USA. Our Smoky BBQ Sauce creates a rich, luxurious, sweet & smoky sauce perfect for seeing off the cold in the winter months.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 3 1/4 hours
Chef's tip: Serve this butter with buttered vegetables on the side for a true, American experience.
- 2 tbsp cooking oil (e.g. vegetable oil, cold pressed rapeseed oil, etc.)
- 3 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 1.25kg chuck or braising streak, cut into equal-size chunks
- 170g plain flour plus 3 tbsp
- 350ml beef stock or water
- 200ml beer
- 220ml pouch pouch of Smoky BBQ Sauce
- 150g fine polenta
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 284ml buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Salad or greens to serve
- Salt & pepper to season
- Heat the oil over a medium heat in a heavy cast iron skillet or a casserole dish (you need to be able to use this both on the hob and in the oven, and it needs to have a lid. If you don't have a wide shallow skillet or casserole, use a regular one - it will just take longer for the juices to reduce).
- Add the onions and cook for around 8 minutes or until lightly browned, remove and set aside.
- Toss the beef in the 3 tbsp flour, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add to the skillet in batches and brown. Once all browned, add the onions, beer and Smoky BBQ Sauce, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cover with a lid. Simmer for 2 1/2 hours or until the beef is tender. Remove the lid for the last 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 220C / 180C fan / gas mark 6.
- When the beef is cooked, in a separate bowl mix together the flour, polenta, bicarbonate of soda, salt and sugar. Make a well in the middle, and egg the buttermilk, egg and 4 tbsp of water.
- Fold with a metal spoon until well combined to make the cornbread mix. Spoon over the beef - don't worry it it looks like it's sinking into the sauce, it will still rise.
- Put the pie in the oven and cook for around 25 minutes or until the cornbread is golden on top and cooked through.
- Serve with salad or buttered greens, and enjoy!
Buy our Smoky BBQ Sauce here: https://keejayssauces.co.uk/collections/cooking-sauces/products/smoky-bbq-sauce