Made with our aromatic Hot & Spicy Curry Sauce, our Jackfruit Bao are a delicious vegan version of a filled 'Chinese Roll' with a kick. While not an every day meal, this is the perfect recipe for when you want to take a bit more time over your next meal and have some fun in the kitchen.
Prep time: 2 and half hours (including proving time)
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Chef's tip: When cooking the jackfruit, break up and mixing the fruit from time to time with a wooden spoon to create a 'pulled' texture.
For the bao:
- 250g plain flour
- 100g rice flour / gluten-free self-raising flour
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 50ml milk, warmed
- 100ml tepid water
For the filling:
- 50g Hot & Spicy Curry Sauce
- 1 tin jackfruit, drained
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 400ml hot water
- 2 spring onions, cut into julienne
- 2 tsp Togarashi (can be swapped with sesame seeds or nigella seeds mixed with a little cayenne powder)
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
To make the dough:
- Add the milk and water to a bowl. Sift in the bicarbonate of soda and the baking powder. Then sift in both flours, salt, caster sugar and dried yeast, before finally adding the sunflower oil.
- If using a mixer, fit the dough hook and mix for 10-12 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Alternatively, combine and knead by hand until the same texture is achieved.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave to prove for around one hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
To form the bao:
- Tip your dough onto a lightly floured work surface, roll into a log and cut into 10 equal portions.
- Roll each portion of dough into a ball and using a rolling pin roll each into a small oval, lightly oiling the top of each.
- Lightly oil four chopsticks and fold each oval over the chopsticks on a lightly oiled baking tray.
- Wrap the tray and bao in a lightly oiled layer of clingfilm and leave to prove again for one hour, or until doubled in size.
To make the filling:
- While the bao are proving, make the jackfruit filling. Add one tbsp of oil to a medium-sized frying pan over a medium heat and add the jackfruit. Fry until lightly golden brown around the edges.
- Mix the Hot & Spicy Curry Sauce with hot water and pour into the pan with the jackfruit.
- Cook until the sauce has reduced by about half, and the jackfruit is stick and fully coated in the sauce.
To cook the bao:
- Cut 10 squares of baking parchment, small enough to fit under each of the bao.
- Place the bao on the baking parchment into a steamer and steam for 10 minutes until puffed up and cooked through.
- Once cook, open each bao in the center and spoon in some of the jackfruit filling. Add a little spring onion to each for garnish, and sprinkle with the Togarashi and roasted peanuts to serve.
Buy our Hot & Spicy Curry Sauce here: https://keejayssauces.co.uk/collections/goldfish-brand-curry-sauce-concentrates/products/goldfish-brand-hot-spicy-curry-sauce-concentrate