The Taste Keejays of Suffolk Jong Po Sauce is a traditional Pekinese Sauce which has been specially made so you can recreate the takeaway favourite, Deep Fried Chilli Beef, at home.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Chef's tip: You can use leftover roast beef to make this recipe too - simply cut into bite-size pieces, coat in a light dusting of flour and fry until crispy.
- 300g stewing steak
- 100g carrots, sliced julienne / into thin strips
- 100g corn flour
- 300ml vegetable oil
- 220g pouch of Jong Po Sauce
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red chilli, thinly sliced into rings
- Rice - cooked as packet instructions
- Slice the stewing steak into thin slices, then coat with the cornflour, shaking of the excess.
- Heat 300ml of vegetable oil in a wok or small pan and fry the beef in small batches until thoroughly cooked and crispy. Place on a plate lined with a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Carefully remove the vegetable oil from the wok leaving approx. 1 tbsp. Reheat the oil and add the Jong Po Sauce. Return the beef and add the carrots to the pan.
- Toss well until all is well coated, and serve alongside the rice and top with the spring onion and chilli rings.
- For a quicker version, simple stir fry thin slices of beef with carrot and add the Jong Po Sauce to coat and heat though. Serve as above.