Our Japanese Katsu Style Curry Sauce has a distinctive sweetness synonymous with Katsu curry from spices including cinnamon, star anise and nutmeg. Drizzled on top of aubergine slices, this is the perfect way to make a vegetarian Katsu burger.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Chef's tip: If you want to make this a vegan recipe, simply swap the egg for a vegan milk and use vegan-friendly buns.
- 50g Japanese Katsu Style Curry Sauce
- 1 aubergine
- 60g Panko breadcrumbs
- 150ml hot water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 a cucumber
- 3 - 4 radishes / 1/2 watermelon radish
- 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- Crisp baby gem lettuce leaves
- Sunflower oil, for frying
- 2 brioche buns, sliced in half
- Salt and pepper
- Slice the aubergine into 1-2mm thin circles and lay out in a single layer.
- Slice the radish as thinly as possible and using the peeler create cucumber ribbons by peeling down the length. Add the radish and the cucumber to a bowl and pour over the rice wine vinegar. Set to one side.
- Pour the beaten egg onto a plate, and on another plate add the flour, and the Panko breadcrumbs onto another. Dust each aubergine slice in flour, dip into the egg and then coat in the breadcrumbs. Repeat until all of the aubergine slices are coated.
- Heat around 8cm of sunflower oil in a medium-size pan until hot. Fry the aubergine slices in batches until golden brown and crisp. Once fried, place them on a tray lined with kitchen roll and add to a low-temperate oven to keep warm.
- Add the Japanese Katsu Style Curry Sauce and hot water to a small pan over a low heat. Whisk until a think, smooth sauce forms.
- To assemble, layer the bottom of the brioche bun with lettuce, followed by pickled cucumber ribbons and top with the fried aubergine slices and picked radish in alternate layers.
- Finally, spoon over the Japanese Katsu Style sauce and top with the bun lids to serve.
Buy our Japanese Katsu Style Curry Sauce here: https://keejayssauces.co.uk/products/goldfish-brand-japanese-katsu-style-curry-sauce-concentrate